Sunday 30 July 2017

Sunday July 30

We were greeted by a sunny morning, although cloud built up steadily and we were caught by a shower late in the morning. A light south-westerly breeze.

As we approached the pool we were treated to a fantastic aerial battle between two adult Hobbies and a Swift. The latter got away eventually but the speed the swooping Hobbies got up to was something to behold.

The pool was as disappointing as it was on Friday, but the nearest flash pool held a Little Egret and a few Green Sandpipers and Lapwings. We then managed to find a place where better views of the flash could be obtained without trespassing, and this revealed at least eight Green Sandpipers. Dave spotted a Sand Martin, which I missed.

A hawker dragonfly perched helpfully, and was revealed to be a Southern Hawker.

Southern Hawker
A bit further on I was counting a small party of Swifts moving through, 10 altogether, when Dave nudged me to point out a Kingfisher. At this point I had intended showing the video I took, but I am having trouble with YouTube, so you'll have to make do with a photograph.

Kingfisher
Finally we found a deceased Mole. I don't think I've ever seen a live one. Exactly how it died is unclear, maybe the recent heavy rain has something to do with it.

Mole

No comments:

Post a Comment