Sunday 14 May 2017

Sunday May 14

Sunny intervals with a light south-westerly breeze.

Another morning to be spent surveying birds, although a new migrant did pop up just as I walked to my starting point. A female Whinchat appeared briefly on the reeds at Netherstead, before flying to another stem, and then vanishing when I got the camera out.

The actual survey produced no surprises, but at least the sunshine gave me the chance to finally get off the mark as far as odonata is concerned, as I saw two male Large Red Damselflies and a female damselfly which may also have been that species.

Large Red Damselfly
The good thing about knowing next to nothing about moths is that any I do see are likely to be new to me. Thus I photographed a micro moth, which I correctly guessed would be from the Tortrix family. At home I learnt it has the English name (according to one website) of Common Roller. If only it had been a bird of that name.

Ancylis badiana - Common Roller
Butterflies seen included a Brimstone, a Red Admiral, several Orange Tips, and a couple of Small Heaths.

Small Heath
Meanwhile, the flash field and pool both contain too much water to attract waders, so I had to settle for a Little Ringed Plover and several Lapwings. One of the latter was feeding in the horse paddocks at Netherstead, which is unusual.


As far as bird migration is concerned, it feels as though spring is just about over for another year. But you never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment