Friday 4 November 2016

Friday November 4

Cloudy at first after some overnight rain, but most of the morning was sunny with a light westerly breeze.

The walk around Netherstead's hedgerows revealed that there were plenty of Blackbirds and Redwings taking advantage of the berry harvest, along with moderate numbers of finches and buntings.

Redwing
The three Stonechats were still present, and the pool hosted a Black-headed Gull, the first here for three visits. Moving on to the flash field I quickly saw that there were now three Wigeon, plus 35 Teal and three Snipe.

The group of Wigeon
I headed back, noting that a shoot was taking place at Spernal, until I reached the edge of Stapenhill Wood. I hadn't seen many Redpolls, but two or three appeared in the trees at the back of the wood. One looked pale through the bins, and with my scope tucked away on my back, my only option was a distant shot followed by a scrabble to get my scope up.


Its the lower bird I was looking at. Needless to say by the time I had got my scope up they had vanished.

Its going to be a long winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment