Friday 22 July 2016

Friday July 22

A very warm sunny morning with an extremely light breeze.

Within a few minutes of arriving at Netherstead I became aware that the fizzing overhead cables were being joined by a reeling Grasshopper Warbler, and shortly afterwards by a second reeler. Fantastic, the fourth record for the site. Hearing them was one thing, but could I see them, or even get a photo?

After about 15 minutes I saw one on the fence surrounding the reedbed field, but I missed the shot. A Hobby flew over, briefly distracting me. A little later I saw the second Grasshopper Warbler fly over the hedge, surprisingly distinctive in flight silhouette. Another 15 minutes elapsed and the first bird was back on the fence, surrounded by grasses. I got a horrible blurry image. Fortunately it reappeared and I got a shot in focus...ish.

The Grasshopper Warbler
I had texted and phoned several people, and Sue Matthewman picked up her message and wandered down from the barns to see if she could see it. Typically the bird promptly stopped singing, but just as she was about to give up it started again, and even showed well back on the fence.

After this tremendous start the circuit was bound to be a bit of an anti-climax. The sprayers were out in force again, and the nearest flash is now just a large muddy puddle. Five Green Sandpipers flew off the main pool, 53 Lapwings, four Starlings, and a Little Ringed Plover were on the flash. The hedgerows produced a Willow Warbler hunting insects with numerous Chiffchaffs.

As I am joining a Dragonfly Group who will be walking around Middle Spernal and Morton Bagot tomorrow, I had intended to ignore insects. But there was never much chance they would ignore me. I was frequently bitten, but also saw many Essex Skippers, a probable Holly Blue which flew along the top of a hedgerow, a Red Admiral, and a Silver Y moth.

Essex Skipper
Small Skipper
Red Admiral
Small Tortoiseshell
A male Black-tailed Skimmer
Back at Netherstead I found two adults and a juvenile Reed Warbler, Sedge Warbler, and the Grasshopper Warblers, this time at the edge of the seedbed, while my earlier report that the Tufted Ducklings may have perished turned out to be unfounded as two were still bobbing about on the largest dragonfly pool.

Grasshopper Warbler
I couldn't resist one more shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment