Friday 10 June 2016

Holiday Report

We have just returned from a week in Hampshire, and you were spared regular updates because some bozo (ok me) forgot to pack the technical gear (chargers etc).

We stayed in Pennington which was ideal for forays to the nearby Keyhaven Marshes and the New Forest. The accommodation was fine, and the weather couldn't have been better.

I also managed to rein in my selfish gene and ensure that Lyn and I did most things together. Happily that included birdwatching at a variety of locations which allowed for good disabled access.

The main locations visited were the superb Keyhaven Marsh, which contained saltmarsh, brackish lagoons, and extensive reedbeds, and also Blackwater Arboretum in the New Forest.

The long list of birds seen included Spoonbill, Little Terns, coastal wading migrants like Curlew Sandpiper, Grey Plover, and Turnstone, and many New Forest specialities like Dartford Warblers, Nightjars, possible Goshawk, Firecrests, Redstarts, Woodlark, Siskins, and Crossbills.

Here are a few photos.

Spoonbill at Keyhaven Marsh
Curlew Sandpiper at Keyhaven Marsh
Thought to be Goshawk at the time, I'm now not sure.
Distant Dartford Warbler at Keyhaven

Keeled Skimmer

Sandwich Tern
Lyn in camouflage shirt
Holding a tree up
I actually saved 83 photos, but I will spare you the rest.

Suffice to say it was all excellent and I am very envious of anyone who has Keyhaven Marshes as their local patch.

No comments:

Post a Comment