Wednesday 25 May 2016

Wednesday May 25

After a cold cloudy day I set off after work in similar conditions but within a few minutes of parking I found that the grim conditions had not dissuaded a new migrant from arriving and singing at me from the reedbed at Netherstead. I refer to a Reed Warbler whose arrival was something of a relief.

Typically it remained out of sight despite sounding as though it was barely 10 metres away. Earlier I had spoken to Sue Matthewman who was keen to take part in the House Martin survey for the BTO and told me she and her husband had been kept awake by a Cuckoo singing at 03.30 this morning!

I headed for the Flash, noticing a wading Grey Heron at the pool on the way.

Grey Heron
The light was too poor for a decent photograph and although it seemed to catch several things, I was unable to establish what it was eating.

A couple of Shelducks flew over. The nearest flash had drained to a muddy puddle which supported two broods of Mallard ducklings and three Lapwings. There was no sign that any Lapwings are still sitting, so either they have failed to produce any young this year or more positively any chicks may have been hiding in the grass.

No comments:

Post a Comment