Monday 18 April 2016

Monday April 18

A cold grey morning with a chilly westerly breeze.

I walked the length of the road without seeing very much, noting that birdsong was somewhat understated. Eventually I dropped down the the pool to commence a more typical circuit, but things remained bleak.

At least I managed to see one of the singing Lesser Whitethroats, although even that was happier to make occasional "tuck" calls rather than burst into song. The pool now contains a pair of Little Grebes with six Tufted Ducks, while the pair of Redshanks were back on the flash along with a Green Sandpiper, six Lesser Back-backed Gulls, a Black-headed Gull, and 18 Teal.

I completed my route without adding any new migrants, so set off back to the pool, still hoping to see one of the Whitethroats which Dave had seen yesterday. Three Sparrowhawks circled, and four Swallows zipped about, but even the Chiffchaffs were reluctant to sing much.

I gave up and headed back to the car, where I was at least able to photograph a singing Yellowhammer.
Yellowhammer
Back at the car I was about to take my wellies off when a familiar song stopped me in my tracks. A Whitethroat was singing from the hedge a few yards away.

Whitethroat
Probably the commonest summer migrant which occurs at Morton Bagot, but the first of the year is always a bit special.

No comments:

Post a Comment