Friday 5 February 2016

Friday February 5

A cloudy morning with a fresh south-westerly wind and a few light showers.

Houston, we have a problem! On Monday morning poor Lyn did something nasty to her back, which has meant that she is now completely housebound and I am unable to go to work as I need to be around all the time to assist her. Obviously this has also clipped my birding wings.

We have, however, worked out that I can spend up to two hours in the field at a stretch, and this morning I headed to the patch for a quick look round.

I parked at Church Farm and headed straight for the flash field. The recent gales have brought down a small tree in the hedge by the footpath gate, and as a result I had to crawl under it to get through the gate. The shooting season is now over, and so it was nice to count 62 Teal, most of which were on the nearest flash.

Part of the Teal flock
Also present were two Lapwings, a Green Sandpiper, and 37 Mallard. Surprises were in short supply this morning, and the best I could come up with was a summer plumage adult Cormorant. I am more used to seeing dull immature birds.

Cormorant
At least there was a bit of a spring-like feel to the visit, with Skylarks and Great Tits now in full song, and a few Hawthorns starting to produce leaves.


No comments:

Post a Comment