Friday 12 February 2016

Friday February 12

A sunny morning with a light easterly breeze. Still constrained by time, I rather meandered to the Flash field after seeing about 30 Lesser Redpolls in hedges by the dragonfly pond and later again as they left the other small pool after presumably having a drink. None of them looked like anything other than a Lesser.

I had a poor view of the Tawny Owl, and a different male Stonechat (this one had a tail) before reaching the flash field. This only contained 33 Teal, 70 Greylag Geese and a Green Sandpiper. The nearest I got to a notable sighting was a record count of five Roe Deer (plus another by the dragonfly Pools).

The Roe Deer
I returned home, but by mid afternoon decided to go back to see if there were any more Redpolls in the field at the south end. On arrival I immediately saw about 30 in the hedge. I then went into the field and waited. After a while I spotted a distant finch on its own in the hedge which appeared
through binoculars to have a white rump. I tried to find it in the scope, but couldn't see any bird at all.

Then a pile of about 100 Redpolls flew out of the crop and into the hedge. Among them was a strikingly pale/white Redpoll. I stared at it through the scope. The bill did not look particularly small but it had to be at least a very pale Mealy. They all flew into the crop, but soon returned to the hedge and I easily found the bird again, it stood out like a beacon among the other finches. Still it wouldn't turn and show its rump. They flew back into the field.

I waited, and then disaster, they flew out and scattered all over the place. Many landed on the wires but their position was towards the low sun, and I couldn't see the bird. Then they all flew again and headed off high. After 20 minutes only a handful had returned so I headed north to try to locate the flock again, but was unsuccessful.

So frustrating, but I am getting a little excited now. I think today's bird was paler than yesterday's.

No comments:

Post a Comment