Friday 15 January 2016

Friday January 15

A cold start, with even a dusting of snow on the road. Sunny though.

The good thing about doing a year-list is that, in January, even unremarkable visits can produce enough mini-highlights to keep you positive. Today was such a day.

A bad start though, as I realised I had forgotten my notebook. I chose to take the road through the village hoping to add a couple of woodland species, and taking photographs when the opportunities arose.

Wren
Pheasant
The morning took a further downturn when I noticed a gentleman crashing about in the marsh, mobile phone clamped to his ear. He didn't seem to be a birder, so I'm not sure what he was doing other than ensuring there would be no ducks on the pool by the time I reached it. A single Coot and the male Stonechat did remain however.

The Flashes differed in that the nearest was frozen, and the furthest wasn't. Four Grey Herons, 17 Teal, and 75 Greylag Geese were visible from the viewing spot. I moved on, but then returned when I thought I had heard some more Geese arriving. In the event it may have been just a movement of the birds I had seen earlier, but my return was rewarded by the presence of a Green Sandpiper, which landed on the nearest flash before flying to the furthest.

At this point I was joined by Colin and his wife, and we had a nice chat. It sometimes pays to hang around because over the course of the next 30 minutes a Marsh Tit appeared in the trees above us, three Siskins flew over, and then among a flock of 30 Redwings which flew in, I picked out a couple of Starlings. Another year-tick.

They headed off towards Redditch, while I carried on towards Netherstead. My last year-tick of the morning appeared as I reached Stapenhill Wood as six Lapwings flew over.

Hopefully my next visit will serve up some quality birds.


No comments:

Post a Comment