Thursday 12 November 2015

Thursday November 12 - RED LETTER DAY

This morning began quietly in mild sunny weather with a light southerly breeze. It was to build into something of a crescendo.

I wandered around Netherstead, little knowing that I was walking past a first for Morton Bagot, seeing the usual finches and thrushes in the hedgerows. A pair of Stonechats was still present, but I didn't see much else. I continued to the pool, which now actually contains a decent amount of water, and on to the flashes where I counted three Green Sandpipers, 31 Snipe, and 46 Teal.

A goose was present on the nearest flash, but I could only see its back which I thought was rather pale. The penny failed to drop, and it was some minutes later before I looked at it again, and realised it was one of these.


In case you are still scratching your head, it is a Bar-headed Goose. Although a patch first, it is also unequivocally an escape from captivity (they breed in Tibet). Having slogged round on Sunday desperately trying to add day ticks, it was slightly galling that I also recorded 18 Lapwings flying over, and heard a Kingfisher. Where were they last week!

The mild sunny weather was encouraging several bees into the air, and also a late Red Admiral.


Returning to Netherstead, I noticed that the wind was picking up and the clouds were rolling in. Another thing I noticed, thank goodness, was a small grey bird which flew onto a coloured fence pole at Netherstead stable. I hurriedly got my scope off my back and into action. It couldn't be, could it?

It was. A Black Redstart was perching in full view. The first for the patch in exactly the place that Dave and I would often air the mantra "this looks good for a Black Redstart". Speaking of Dave, I thought I had better text him. He soon rang me back and said he would be on his way.

Black Redstart
I spent the next few minutes playing hide and seek with the bird, a female/immature, while also texting or calling various potentially interested parties. Sue arrived from the barn conversions just as I was leaving to get Lyn. I showed the bird to Sue and headed off. This was something that Lyn would be able to see.

By the time we returned, Mike had arrived and was dejectedly wandering around looking for it. He needn't have worried as I quickly relocated it on the sheltered side of the stable complex.

As we all chatted, celebrating a good bird and hoping it would reappear for Lyn to see, another species grabbed our attention. A Red Kite appeared above us before spending the next ten minutes circling over Netherstead Hall.

Red Kite
This was a second year tick for me. Not quite as momentous as the Black Redstart, but one I had given up on after not seeing one in spring.

Dave arrived just in time to see the Kite before it headed off over Bannams Wood, and he and Lyn were soon enjoying views of the Black Redstart.

You can't beat patch birding on days like this.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Richard - I've been following and enjoying your blog for most of this year whilst on garden leave before a new job. I've also visited your patch and tried to follow your routes, seeing some great wildlife along the way. What a great day you had yesterday ! Just wanted to say keep up the good work ! Kind regards, Andy Harris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Richard thanks so much for the call, and I am glad I was at home. Would not have wanted to miss that. It was great to meet Lyn as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice one (or two), that's what it's all about. Waiting for a Black Red on my 'local' patch, enough farm buildings about

    ReplyDelete