Sunday 4 October 2015

Sunday October 4

Still on holiday, but there was action at Morton Bagot. This morning Dave rang to say a cream-crown Marsh Harrier had just flown over him at Netherstead. Dave's first at Morton Bagot. I was genuinely pleased for him, although when he commented that it was a pity I hadn't been there because I would have had a great chance of a good photograph I thought he was pushing it a bit!

As it happened I was having rather a good morning myself. Today had been designated a non-birding day so I outflanked my companions by going out for an hour before anyone was up. It was a cloudy morning with just a hint of a southerly breeze. My first five Redwings of the autumn flew over, a good sign. Shortly afterwards I spotted an adult Peregrine perched on a telegraph pole, and then a tiny falcon dashed over, tilting briefly at panicking Starlings, a female Merlin. I had barely gathered my thoughts when a familiar call had me searching the sky, eventually spotting five Crossbills heading north high overhead.

I returned to the cottage pleased with this haul, and then found a Coal Tit which perched in full view showing off its steel grey mantle and sharply defined white cheeks and nape.

Unfortunately I didn't have my camera with me to record any of this, but it was put to use to record Lyn and her friends as part of their anniversary celebration weekend.

Jan & Carol, with Lyn in the middle.
We then set off for Whitby. I was being very good, and left the binoculars behind. I still had my camera though.

Whinchat
Starlings bathing in a pond at the Abbey
Back on message, the Abbey
My lens also found two Wheatears, and a Meadow Pipit at the abbey, and a Kittiwake at the docks in Whitby itself. Lyn, Jan, and Carol found lots of jewellery, porcelain etc, which they bought, and we all found an excellent fish and chip restaurant.

The afternoon was over all too quickly, and we bade farewell to our friends as they returned home. I noticed the wind was starting to blow south-easterly, so absented myself once more. This paid off within ten minutes as a half forgotten "tew" call followed by a faint "trrtrrtrr"was fortunately repeated causing me to realise a Lapland Bunting was flying over.  I got onto it and was thrilled to see it drop into a distant field. I was less pleased to discover that the field in question contained dense pasture, and all I managed to kick up were a few Meadow Pipits.

Not a bad non-birding day though.


No comments:

Post a Comment