Thursday 24 September 2015

Thursday September 24

A sunny morning with a moderate to fresh south-westerly breeze. I strolled around the patch this morning without, to be honest, seeing anything very unusual.

There are still plenty of hirundines about, at least 16 House Martins and three Swallows at any one time, and not much sign that they were moving. The remaining summer migrants have largely gone, although I still logged 10 Chiffchaffs and three Blackcaps.

One surprising feature of the day was the registering of Owls and imposters. I reached the slurry patch just beyond Netherstead, and was watching four Chiffchaffs darting about in the bright sunshine, when a Tawny Owl hooted several times from the planted bushes beyond. There was no hope of seeing it though. Later on, I was at the hedge by the Flash field when I heard a Little Owl, or I thought I did. After peering through the hedge I could see no sign of it, but it called again, this time rather strangely. Several more weird calls followed, plus one which sounded exactly right for Little Owl. By now I was starting to suspect an imposter, and I had a pretty good idea what it would be. I was therefore not too surprised when a Jay flew out of the hedge and away. No more calls were heard. Jays are surprisingly good mimics, although in my experience they rarely bother, preferring the standard squawk.

The Flash field contained 37 Teal, 20 Snipe, and three Green Sandpipers. A few Siskins and Meadow Pipits flew over.

On returning to my car I found I had failed to take any blog-worthy photos, and had also not sketched anything. My target birds for today were near-passerines, and so I set off to look for a Woodpigeon. This proved a surprisingly lengthy task, but eventually one appeared.


Hardly worth it really.

No comments:

Post a Comment