Thursday 27 August 2015

Thursday August 27

Having changed my mind (never change your mind) about whether to visit the patch today, I was sitting at home watching the athletics when I received two texts from Matt Willmott.

He reported the following at Morton Bagot; 29 Teal, 5 Green Sands, one Common Sand, one Redstart, 25 Lapwings, one Kingfisher, and four Spotted Flycatchers.

Can you guess which of these had me dropping everything and dashing to the patch?

Strange to tell it was the Common Sandpiper. Each year I just sneak one amongst the Green Sandpipers, but they usually either turn up in spring, or between July and the middle of August. I had started to believe I was going to miss out this year.

I arrived to find Matt still present, and able to confirm it was still there.

Common Sandpiper
After taking a couple of quick record shots and a natter with Matt, I was back in time to see Christine Ohuruogu in the 400 metres final. A shame she came last.


No comments:

Post a Comment