Sunday 2 August 2015

Sunday August 2

Ah! August at last. Although birds have been trickling back south for a month, the deluge starts this month.

Not today though. Dave and I walked around scrutinising every bird in every bush (or so it felt) to come up with 16 Whitethroats, five Lesser Whitethroats, a Sedge Warbler, two Blackcaps, and a Reed Warbler, all probably Morton Bagot locals.

A couple of Sand Martins which flew south with three Swallows were probably migrants, and there were still at least 15 Swifts jinking after insects high in the sky.

The flash contained a Teal, 28 Lapwings, and eight Green Sandpipers.

The day's highlight was a fish! At the dragonfly pools the largest and deepest pool contained a single large fish. We had no idea what it was, but it was about two feet long, and attractively patterned. At the time we were guessing at Crucian Carp, but since getting back I am wondering if it was a Chub. The snout looks a bit funny though, possibly distorted by refraction.

Fish sp
If any anglers are reading this and know what it is, I'd be pleased to hear from you. How it got into the pool is anyone's guess, but it's presence might explain the shortage of dragonflies this year.

So with no birds to show you I thought I'd better produce my first attempt at an oil painting, which I finished last night.

Snipe at Morton Bagot

No comments:

Post a Comment