Sunday 23 August 2015

Sunday 23 August

A terrific date, perfect weather (light south-easterly after overnight rain), surely I couldn't fail this morning.

Well I'll say this. I tried my best. I began at Netherstead, recording fly-over Siskin(s) on call, and seeing a Swift circling with the House Martin flock. A Spotted Flycatcher appeared briefly in the copse. Note that word, briefly, it was to become something of a theme.

Continuing towards the pool I saw and heard (singing) two Willow Warblers, and several other warblers before scoping a distant (another word to note) Whinchat. Onwards to the Flashes. Here the Greenshank had evidently gone and I eventually counted 12 Green Sandpipers, 10 Snipe, 57 Lapwings and 15 Teal. I remained here longer than usual. A large bird of prey headed distantly south over Bannams Wood, the wings were held slightly droopily, and it was moving fast in the way that Buzzards don't. I got it in the scope as it briefly circled, but could make out no features at all. The fanned tail was possibly a fraction long, but the head extension looked Buzzard-like, and as it circled the wings went briefly into a shallow V. So distant and brief and probably not a Honey Buzzard. Probably.

Along the hedge behind me, distantly, several Chiffchaffs, Willow Warbler, Lesser Whitethroat, and Whitethroat excitedly chased insects. After watching for several minutes I had a brief (there's that word again) view of a Redstart with them.

I decided I should get sketching, but then realised I had left my sketch book at home. Today was starting to fall apart. As I wandered back, the distant cloud started to get closer and darker, and it occurred to me I hadn't even got my camera out of my bag. Back at the car, I still hadn't got a shot of anything.

I decided to check out Church Farm with a view to finding something to photograph. As I wandered around, a Yellow Wagtail flew over, calling. Great, they are scarce in autumn (and in spring come to think of it). I headed in the direction it had flown, but there was no sign. So I decided to  take my scope to the agricultural machinery yard from where I could scan the furthest flash. I returned my camera to the car. Mistake. Running around on the muddy clinker was the Yellow Wagtail, a juvenile with barely any yellow in its plumage. I dashed back for the camera, but returned to find the bird was gone.

It was just one of those days. Token rubbish photo of Swallows on wires coming up.


Also today, England lost the test match, and West Brom lost to Chelsea.

No comments:

Post a Comment