Sunday 9 August 2015

Saturday August 8

A largely sunny morning with a very light southerly breeze.

You may be aware that I take part in the Patchwork Challenge, a nationwide competition for patchworkers to see as many species in a year as possible. I was taking stock last night and observed that I have seen just about all of the passerine species I am likely to see before the late autumn kicks in. Any ticks are more likely to come from water birds.

So naturally I then spent almost the whole of this morning staring into trees watching passerines. No wonder I'm off the pace.

The calm conditions and abundance of small birds was just too tempting, and I did winkle  out a few notable birds. The plantation by Netherstead provided a Willow Warbler and about four Siskins along with lots of tits, Goldfinches, Chaffinches, Blackcaps and Chiffchaffs.

Taking the route along the road I quickly discovered the first of two Spotted Flycatchers. It was quite flighty and I just managed one record shot.

Spotted Flycatcher
Further along the road I heard Blackbirds mobbing something, which turned out to be a Common Buzzard.

Common Buzzard
Birds of prey are another group which could potentially contribute to the yearlist, but it will take a good bird.

I finally reached the pool, now just a puddle, and also the flash field. This contained 12 Green Sandpipers and 40 Lapwings. Even the Teal have gone.

It could be a long two months before the winter visitors reappear.

No comments:

Post a Comment