Tuesday 28 July 2015

Tuesday July 28

It is at this time of year that my thoughts turn away from insects and towards birds. Migrants start to appear, so every visit to the patch comes with a sense of anticipation that today could be the one day this year to produce something truly memorable.

The thoughts of insects however, seem to turn to me. This evening was a little cool, but very still, and consequently as I stalked around hedgerows looking for birds, I had an entourage of annoying little gnats stalking me.

My fans
It's not all bad though. I like to think of myself as a mobile bird table, because this evening all this insect activity did not go unnoticed by a procession of migrant passerines.

First to show was a Whinchat which flew from the hedge line by the pool and flew high to the south before appearing to descend towards the chat field in the distance. Then a lively tit/warbler flock kept me alert, providing at least one Willow Warbler, a Lesser Whitethroat, and a Coal Tit  with other tits and Chiffchaffs. On the far side of the flash field an immature male Redstart hawked insects, while a Sand Martin joined other hirundines and about ten Swifts to hoover up the insect soup.

A Kingfisher showed briefly over the nearest flash. However wader activity was disappointing again, with just three Green Sandpipers and 52 Lapwings. One predictable feature of early autumn is the arrival of hoards of Greylag Geese, and this evening a flock of 129 arrived noisily from the west.

Greylag Geese
So tonight was good, but not that good. But there will be plenty more opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment