Friday 3 July 2015

Friday July 3

A sunny morning with a light south-easterly breeze.

I set out with my sketchbook with the intention of finding a Grey Heron, and this time one was present. It was a juvenile bird and stood, half obscured by the long grass, on the nearest flash.



It stayed just long enough for me to complete a couple of quick sketches, before, probably fully aware of me hiding behind the hedge, it decided to take off and fly away.

Earlier, I had become aware of plenty of insects. Some were biting me, but others were butterflies and dragonflies. In particular Marbled Whites were very plentiful, but just as flighty. The only one I managed to photograph had seen better days.

Marbled White
Also on the wing were lots of Large Skippers, Small Heaths, Meadow Browns, and a single Brimstone and a Small White.

Small White
Both Reed Warbler and Sedge Warbler were singing in the reed-bed.

Sedge Warbler
The waders on the main pool comprised four Green Sandpipers, and a Snipe. Mirroring the butterflies, there were many dragonflies on the wing. The pool behind the nearest flash was particularly good, lots of Black-tailed Skimmers, several Emperors, and a variety of damselflies. I spent a long time here due to a flight view of a dark dragonfly I couldn't put a name to. I only saw it twice as it got attacked by Black-tailed Skimmers, and shot away.

male Black-tailed Skimmer
I am tempted to speculate on what the mystery insect might have been. It was the size of a Black-tailed Skimmer, and I got the impression of a blob-ended rear to the abdomen. Perhaps it was just a rotten view of a female Black- tailed Skimmer, or a Four-spotted Chaser, but more optimistic thoughts led me to  hope it might be a Downy Emerald (unknown in Warwickshire) or a Hairy Dragonfly (very rare in Warwickshire).

Dream on.


No comments:

Post a Comment