Thursday 25 June 2015

Thursday June 25

A warm, sultry day. I had decided to take my sketchbook with the aim of drawing Herons. Unfortunately none were present, so I had to consider my fall back plan, which was Buzzards. A possible reason for the lack of Herons was the continuing drop in water levels, which has left the nearest flash almost dry, and a substantial muddy edge to the main pool.

An early surprise came as I headed for the pool. I looked up to see a Common Tern flying over (talk about buses, seven years without a tern and then two in a week). In fact, there were probably two as once one had disappeared I spotted another heading away. I also took a photo of it which looks less like a gnat and more like a bird.

Common Tern
Trying to formulate a theory for why Common Terns are starting to appear, it could be that the dry summer is causing pools to dry up, or even fish deaths, forcing birds to travel further afield in search of new areas to feed. At the pool I counted three Little Ringed Plovers, all adults.

female Little Ringed Plover
Despite the Flash being reduced to a puddle, it contained two Green Sandpipers. The pool beyond the hedge contained a pair of Tufted Ducks, the male being ringed. As I had the scope I had a stab at reading the ring, and came up with 0662 but I 'm not sure that will be enough to establish where it might have been ringed.

Where did you come from?
The walk back was very pleasant. The long grass, now waist high, contained all sorts of insects and flowers to look at. On reaching the ridge I thought I had better start looking for Buzzards. They were not performing very well today, and I failed to find any perched. But after half an hour I had a few sketches in the bag.

Buzzards
Among the birds I saw on the way back were two Nuthatches checking out woodpecker holes.

Nuthatch
Insects including several infestations of black aphids, all on thistles. Yuck.

Aphid sp
I have seen very few dragonflies this year, so I was pleased to add a female Emperor, and a female type Black-tailed Skimmer.

Black-tailed Skimmer
The soft mud at the dragonfly pools contained fresh tracks.

Badger tracks?
Butterflies on the wing included my first Marbled Whites of the year (which all refused to alight, so no photo), plenty of Large Skippers, Small Heaths, Meadow Browns, and a Ringlet.

Meadow Brown
Ringlet
All in all another worthwhile visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment