Friday 1 May 2015

Friday May 1

The new month dawned bright but cold, with a light north-easterly persisting. Not a good direction.

My visit this morning was aimed at further surveying and sketching. Eventually I achieved both, but regret to say that there was very little bird activity to get excited about. A female Wheatear may prove to be the last of the season, while a new Sedge warbler sang at the flashes. A Meadow Pipit was a surprise find, but there was also a pair here at the same time last year so perhaps its not too unusual.

The Teal have all gone, but a Little Ringed Plover, two Redshank, and the Little Owl remain.

I had originally intended to sketch Little Grebes (they had gone), or Cormorant (none seen), or Grey Heron (one just flew around briefly), which just left Coot. Obliging, but not very exciting.


As I was leaving I was distracted by a newsworthy event, but more Midlands Today than Morton Bagot Birder blog. A huge fire had sprung up in the direction of Redditch. As I watched a huge explosion sent a ball of orange flame into the billowing black smoke.


It may have been on one of the Matchborough industrial estates. I hope no-one was injured.

No comments:

Post a Comment