Monday 6 April 2015

Monday April 6

An early morning visit aimed to get some sketching done and to allow enough time for a day out in Warks with Lyn. It was a beautiful sunny start, but I encountered a blanket of fog over the flash and pool when I got there.

It soon lifted and at least 16 of today's target species were found to be sharing the flash with 10 Greylag Geese, eight Lapwings, a Redshank and a Green Sandpiper.

Teal sketches
Once I was satisfied with my efforts I started to head back, and quickly ran into some reasonably close Skylarks on the field behind the pool.

A Skylark in the dew
Continuing to head back I noted that the Tawny Owl was showing, and further up the slope I turned to scan for raptors to find, instead, a hirundine heading north. It dropped down towards the pool where I confirmed its identity as the first Sand Martin of the year. Although they are the first hirundine to reach the UK, they are scarce at Morton Bagot and I don't think I've ever seen one here before the first Swallow.

Back at the road a scan of the large field full of baaing sheep produced a distant Wheatear, probably male, to end a successful little visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment