Sunday 22 February 2015

Sunday February 22

I often find myself looking forward to spring at this time of year. Not today though. A hard frost overnight and a grey cold morning with a light, but cold, south-easterly breeze put paid to any such thoughts.

Instead it was a case of spot the difference. A male Stonechat around the horse paddocks had a full tail and was presumably a new arrival. A pair of Mute Swans has reappeared, and there has been a noticeable influx of Fieldfares, with 150 in the area, all feeding on invertebrates in the pasture fields.

The Stonechat
I ignored the marsh to give the Snipe a bit of breathing space, but found that the pool and flashes were largely frozen, so I only counted 15 Teal, 40 Lapwings, and a Green Sandpiper.

At least I got home before the forecast rain arrived.

No comments:

Post a Comment