Wednesday 20 August 2014

Wednesday Aug 20

A text from Matt W tipped me off about the birds present at the patch today. 14 Green Sandpipers, a Redstart, three Snipe and 80 Lapwings. So pretty reasonable but no need to rush there.

When I finally did arrive this evening I started to find that mammals were taking centre stage.


This Brown Hare seemed a bit slow to realise I was looking at it. I plodded on to the pool and flash. At the latter I found that Matt's figures eclipsed my own. I could only manage five Green Sandpipers, about 30 Lapwings, and 19 Teal.

The hedgerow contained a good flock of L T Tits and Warblers, with at least six Chiffchaffs and a Lesser Whitethroat seen. A Kingfisher called from the pool behind the hedge, and I set off on another futile attempt to photograph it. I didn't even see it. Returning to where I had first heard it I did get a nice surprise. A Badger was running about on the bank above the pool.


The light was starting to go by this time. Probably the best bird of the evening then put in a brief appearance. A Common Swift. This may well prove to be my last sighting of one this year.

Finally, I have been a bit remiss in failing to mention Mike's exploits on his patch at the weekend. The old boy finally visited his patch and turned up two patch ticks; Redstart and Spotted Flycatcher, and rather more impressively, a Clouded Yellow butterfly.

No comments:

Post a Comment