Sunday 17 August 2014

Sunday August 17

I arrived at Netherstead at about the same time as a weak weather front. So the first hour was spent sheltering from showers and a brisk westerly breeze. I spent the time beneath the copse opposite the entrance to Netherstead Hall, watching 60 or so hirundines, mostly House Martins catching insects on the sheltered side of the copse.

A few Tits were also feeding at the edge of the copse, and while looking at them I spotted a Spotted Flycatcher, the first this year.

92. Spotted Flycatcher
It seemed to be an adult, and was reasonably easy to photograph. Always a relief to get this species on the patch list each year.

I then went on my usual circuit. The weather improved, and eventually the sun came out. It remained annoyingly windy though. The hedge at the Netherstead end gave me a Lesser Whitethroat, and another hedge, this time at the far end of the pool produced a briefish view of an adult male Redstart. I can't help wondering if this is the same bird as the one in the same area in early July.

I reached the flash and was disappointed to find that there was no sign of the Ruff, nor any Snipe. The latter were probably just hiding in the grass somewhere, but it looks like the Ruff has gone. There were still at least 11 Green Sandpipers, 13 Teal, and 80 Lapwings present. Then a Kingfisher flew past, heading down the hedgeline. I relocated it by the pool, but just failed to get a shot. A family party of four Kestrels sailed overhead, and caused panic amongst the members of the Long-tailed Tit/Chiffchaff flock. It also contained a single Goldcrest.

The strong wind and lure of the test match had me abandoning the visit just before mid-day.

No comments:

Post a Comment