Saturday 10 May 2014

Saturday May 10

This was a visit that nearly didn't happen. I had prearranged to take our friends, Richard and Jan, around the patch. The Tawny Owl chicks being a particular target. The forecast by Thursday was so bad I nearly cancelled, but we held our nerve and it paid off.

The overnight rain stopped by 7.00am and the sun broke through. Heavy shower clouds scudded overhead and the rain held off until we were safely back home.

We parked at the church and headed straight for the Tawny Owl tree.

Mission accomplished
It was great to share this sighting, so although the wind was gaining in strength I felt that the morning had been a success regardless of whether events nosedived.

I needn't have worried though. We battled into the gale, past singing Whitethroats and Yellowhammers until we reached the flash. Through the trees it was immediately apparent that Shelduck was finally getting onto my year list. There were actually a pair present, the first since the pair I missed in March.

77. Shelduck
I scanned the remaining flash, but there were still no waders. Well the young Lapwing was still present, along with a number of grown-ups. Above us several Swifts appeared and defied my attempts to get a worthwhile photograph. I suspect this could become a theme this summer. Then a call, and another, definitely Yellow Wagtail. It called once more but I couldn't see it. Another year tick.

The field behind us produced a male and female Wheatear, and also this Brown Hare.


I led my companions along my usual route. The strong wind made it tough to get sustained views of passerines, but we saw a Whitethroat well, and heard Bullfinches, Reed Warblers, Chiffchaffs, and a Cuckoo before we returned to the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment