Thursday 1 May 2014

Owls of delight

Sorry about the pun. Today dawned grey, gloomy and damp. However, the rain was intermittent and not heavy., and I had owls to see.

I went straight to the Tawny Owl tree and there they were. Four of them. One, arguably more advanced than the others, was sitting alone and was posing perfectly.

Trying to look intelligent
The other three were huddled together at the top of the tree, and it was impossible to get a clear view of all three.

Two in view, the third mostly obscured on the right
Well that was easy. Had the murky weather dropped anything into the flashes? No.

However, walking back passed the pool I counted five male Reed Buntings. This species has transformed its status since I first started coming, taking advantage of the extra habitat created under the Stewardship scheme.

To my surprise I also saw a Pipit, possibly two, flying about. Eventually it called to reveal itself to be "just" a Meadow Pipit. A late migrant or a potential new breeding species for the site? Time will tell.


No comments:

Post a Comment