Wednesday 30 April 2014

Wednesday April 30

A glorious sunny morning with a light south-easterly breeze. Perfect for photography, not so good for turning up unusual birds.

Nevertheless my photo year list got an immediate boost when the Sedge Warbler in the reed-bed finally decided to play ball.

73. Sedge Warbler
At least two other Sedge Warblers were singing, and also a Reed Warbler here which I also saw, but failed to get a shot of, and another in a nearby hedge. After this mini triumph the remainder of the visit was a bit underwhelming. The female Gadwall was on the furthest flash, the Cuckoo eventually started singing, and I finally got a record shot of a Blackcap, one of about six I heard during the morning.

74.  Blackcap
In the absence of notable birds my attention turned to insects. The sun brought out an array of butterflies including this Large White.

Large White
and more Brimstones than I have seen here since March.

Brimstone
I had hoped to get my first damselflies of the year, but I couldn't find any. Instead there were lots of  sinister looking flies.

St Mark's Fly
As a final postscript, Mike Lane phoned me this evening to let me know that he had found a party of fledgling Tawny Owls in the usual tree. A target for tomorrow perhaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment