Monday 28 April 2014

Monday April 28

Well this is a turn up, birding on a week day. A grey and cool morning with a light easterly breeze.

I started at Netherstead Farm and quickly added a photo-tick as the Swallows there are starting to perch on the weather vain.

72. Swallow
I probably should have waited for a sunny morning, but what the heck. Moving on to the reed-bed, there are now two Sedge Warblers in residence and they were driving each other nuts resulting in much singing and many song flights. While I failed to get an opportunity to take a decent photo, a Reed Warbler started singing. This is my first April record here, but I was unable to see it despite spending quite a bit of time trying.

A circuit of the patch produced little, although one of the Blackbirds has developed an annoying habit of doing Curlew impressions. A Wheatear showed well on the field behind the pool.


That was about it until I spotted a Pheasant on a gate just before he saw me. His solution was to lie flat and hope I hadn't seen him.

Nice try
The Cuckoo sang briefly, but I still haven't clapped eyes on it. A Redpoll flew over calling. A couple of Greylag Geese  flew past, giving me the chance to try a flight shot.


At least the House Martins were back. My next (and last) attempt to do the spring big day will be next weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment