Sunday 16 March 2014

GREEN - WINGED TEAL

Right, no messing about, lets get straight to THE BIRD.

Dave and I had just reached the slight ridge by the pool from where you can see the furthest flash. Dave drew my attention to a brown lump in the grass. Is it a bird? I thought it could potentially be a Curlew so I got the scope up. It was a lump of mud. Oh well, might as well scan the distant flash now the scope is up. Teal, Teal, Mallard, Teal, ****** (Gosh), a white vertical stripe. I rapidly took a few steps to my left so that I could see without bits of tree in the way. Green-winged Teal! Dave had a quick look and concurred.

I quickly went into panic mode and took a record shot. We then went down the slope to our usual spot and I took some more pics. This flash is bloody miles away so don't expect too much, but these are my best efforts.

59. GREEN- WINGED TEAL
G W Teal posing with Teal and a Wigeon
G W Teal with a Teal
The furthest flash
While we  waited for others to arrive we scanned the flashes to count 40 Teal, a Shoveler, two Wigeon, and four Green Sandpipers. Mark Islip got there first, then Matt Willmott. We had to leave, but Mike soon rang to say he had got there and seen it.

Earlier on, I had decided to check out the Tawny Owl tree at 8.00am, and this paid off because it was in residence. So that was my first year tick of the day, Tawny Owl. It also got added to the photo-list.

57. Tawny Owl
I then drove the Netherstead to wait for Dave. He understandably also wanted to see the Tawny Owl, so we headed straight for it. Unfortunately, we were too late, it had retreated into its hole. Dave actually probably saw it pop back up after we were heading away, but by the time we returned it had vanished again.

On the edge of the pool another photo-tick opportunity came, and I just about got an acceptable shot of a Long-tailed Tit.

58. Long-tailed Tit
We flushed a Shoveler from the pool. It was relocated to the furthest flash, which I am now tempted to rename the Green-winged Teal flash.

Some more good news. Matt Willmott with the full weight of English Nature behind him has had a successful meeting with Felix Dennis (the land-owner) and he has agreed not to plant trees on the field bordering the pool. Well done to all concerned from me and about a dozen pairs of Skylarks.

Mike is still making ground, having added Little Grebe, Mistle Thrush, and Chiffchaff to his list at Spernal pools this morning. There must have been a Chiffchaff at Morton Bagot today, but we failed to find it if it was there.

I'm now going for a lie down.


1 comment:

  1. Fantastic bird still showing this morning took a bit to find as I am not that familiar with site but from the footpath between the little chained gate and bridge I had great views also 2 Green Sands.
    Trevor Jones

    ReplyDelete