Sunday 19 January 2014

Sunday January 19

A beautiful sunny day. Dave couldn't make it, and there was no sign of Jon. This meant a photography day.

The only year tick I gained today was a Mistle Thrush which I could hear singing from Netherstead Farm.

So, to business. After ignoring 160 Linnets which were twittering from the copse, my first target was a female Greenfinch which sat up nicely on a hedge.

19. Greenfinch
Shortly afterwards I heard a Lesser Redpoll, but didn't see much worth recording until I got to the line of trees leading to the pool. Here I finally got some shots of Pheasant.

20. Pheasant
One bird which has been eluding me so far, common though they are, is Dunnock. So although it was distant I decided to add one which perched up on the hedge behind the pool.

21. Dunnock
The flashes contained several Lesser Black-backed Gulls, but predictably they flew off before I could get close enough to add them. About 80 Lapwings and a handful of Snipe was all I could muster. Still no ducks.

Back at Netherstead, the Mistle Thrush had stopped singing, but was now visible.

22. Mistle Thrush
The garden and feeders there also gave me some easy photo ticks.

23. Pied Wagtail
24. Collared Dove
25. Blue Tit
At this point I decided to take to my mobile hide, and drive down to the south end. Here I was greeted by the sight of 300 Linnets on the wires.

Some of the Linnets
Also a few more photo ticks.

26. Chaffinch
27. Meadow Pipit
28. Goldfinch
29. Song Thrush
I finally decided to leave, but further opportunities were in store. Driving past Bannams Wood I noticed a Raven heading for the pylon. I then played a protracted game of hide and seek with it, as it kept disappearing behind girders. In the end, this was my best effort.

30. Raven
And that was that...until the evening. Lyn and I were driving back from shopping in Alcester, going the country route. As we drove through the hamlet of Morton Bagot I decided I really ought to get Woodpigeon on the list.
31. Woodpigeon
Then, driving past Bannam's Wood I noticed a creature at the side of the road. This turned out to be a Buzzard feeding on something. The shot is taken through the car windscreen, but it was too good an opportunity to pass up.

32. Buzzard
A nice end to the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment