Saturday 25 January 2014

Saturday 25 January

With a forecast for appalling weather for tomorrow morning I switched to Saturday for a change.

This morning the weather was OK, mostly cloudy with a few sunny spells. Water levels higher than ever, and bird numbers a bit depressed. The mild conditions were encouraging Song Thrushes to sing, and more unusually this Redwing was also singing away


When I reached the pool I finally got a year tick as a Green Sandpiper was flying around calling, although I failed to actually see it.

The flashes were a let down again, just 10 visible Snipe and four Black-headed Gulls. However, as I needed them for the photo list I decided to add one as it took off.

33. Black-headed Gull
After failing to find any Owls at the various stake outs I couldn't resist photographing a hedge full of Linnets.


The cunning plan was to walk up to the road and back beneath Bannams Wood to try to get some of the missing woodland birds. On the way, a Fieldfare posed nicely.


One bird which was proving strangely hard to photograph was Blackbird. They are much less tame out here in the countryside, but I wanted to get one on the list so I'm afraid the best I could do was this female.

34. Blackbird
The hoped for woodland birds largely failed to play ball, although I did add another unseen bird to the list, this time a calling Marsh Tit.

Finally I resorted to looking for signs of spring and noticed these Snowdrops under a hedge.


Shortly afterwards, Mike pulled up and we compared notes. He had added Mute Swan and Jay at his patch (plus Black Swan which I told him he couldn't count). He was on his way to Coleshill where a Hume's Yellow-browed Warbler had been found. I am tempted, but it will have to wait for another weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment