Sunday 5 January 2014

On the patch at last

After a frosty night, the day dawned cold and calm. However, the cloud cover increased throughout the morning.

I began by seeing what I could photograph from the car before Dave arrived. A Linnet eventually came in range to get the photo year list off the mark.

1. Linnet
Closely followed by a Redwing.

2. Redwing
Both these species were well represented today. I estimated 100 Linnets and 60 Redwings. Dave arrived and I took a shot of a male Kestrel which in flight was seen to have a damaged wing as a primary feather dangled down. It looked healthy enough on a post though.

3. Kestrel
Shortly after this a year-tick calamity occured (for me), as Dave spotted a Kingfisher which flew rapidly past us. It didn't call, and I just didn't see it. This is a potential banana skin as I have never seen one here before July in any year and the species is not 100% guaranteed to turn up.

Moving on, we tried heading towards the south end in the hope of relocating it. But as expected we failed. Eventually we were back on our usual track and were walking past the pool when the Stonechat popped up.

4. Stonechat
Unfortunately, the only time it was close there were too many branches obscuring it, so I ended up pursuing it for a record shot. This bird may well winter successfully, but if we get some severe cold it may not survive, and like Kingfisher although we should get one again next autumn, its not guaranteed

The flash continued its recent poor run, but I thought I'd add a few of its inhabitants to the photo list.

5. Mallard (Snipe in background)
6. Lapwing
You can never get close enough to even the closest flash to get anything better than a record shot. Beyond the flash the small pool contained a Mute Swan.

7. Mute Swan
This bird appears to be a sub-adult.

At Stapenhill Wood among a good flock of Linnets and Chaffinches, I spotted a female Brambling. Another bird good enough to warrant a record shot.

8. Brambling
 I may see this bird again, but it is missable. You also never know whether next autumn will bring any.

Walking back across the stubble field I got some flight shots of Skylarks, but the images are so small that I will hope to get something better another day. Dave headed off, but I stayed a bit longer hoping to photograph something else. In the end all I got was a blurred flight shot of a Buzzard, and some pictures of an uncooperative Yellowhammer.

9. Yellowhammer
So my year-list is off the mark with a slightly under par 47 species.

Late news: Mike paid a very brief visit to Haselor scrape. All he saw was some Mallards. Tick.

No comments:

Post a Comment