Sunday 22 September 2013

Sunday Sept 22

A cloudy but rather warm day. Dave cried off at the last minute with a cold, so I had the place to myself.

The area around Netherstead Farm was again full of birds, and I eventually located a Whitethroat, three Blackcaps, and the first of up to 12 Chiffchaffs in the hedgerows. Pied Wagtails were more in evidence, with 11 around the stables before most flew off south.

Meanwhile, with Dave absent, I found this adult Peregrine on the pylons.


Somehow the species has eluded Dave all year, and its becoming a bit of a standing joke that if he doesn't come, I'll see one.

Overhead passage was a little disappointing. I eventually accumulated 15 Meadow Pipits, 18 Swallows, and four House Martins heading south.

Walking beside the ridge field I came across this Roe Deer helping himself to Felix Dennis' precious tree saplings.

Tasty
You've been rumbled
Just act naturally
Continuing with the mammal theme, I reached the pool field and found another creature which some farmers regard as public enemy number one.


I just think they look fantastic. The pool itself contained only a couple of Mute Swans, while the flashes served up 71 Teal, 18 Snipe, and 135 Greylag Geese. A Little Owl was calling loudly, but I couldn't see it.

Moving to view the little pool adjacent to the flash I found myself staring at only the second Little Grebe of the year.


This juvenile bird showed reasonably well through the hedge.

Other birds to impress today were at least 17 Reed Buntings, Robins seemed to be everywhere, and the Green Sandpiper is continuing to find the rapidly draining dragonfly pools to its liking. There are still a few dragonflies about, and I saw a few Common Darters, a Migrant Hawker, and a Brown Hawker. The best butterfly was a Comma.

No comments:

Post a Comment