Saturday 14 September 2013

Saturday September 14

With friends due at mid-day and staying over, and a dodgy forecast for Sunday, I switched to a Saturday morning birding slot.

Starting at Netherstead Farm, where there was a Tit flock at least 30 strong, I started amassing Chiffchaffs (eight) and Blackcaps (five), while a few Meadow Pipits reminded me that autumn was on its way.

There were still a few summer migrants about. I heard last week's Reed Warbler sub-singing, and saw a single Whitethroat and a Lesser Whitethroat while plenty of Swallows and House Martins were overhead.

The first surprise was a Little Egret at the main pool, which moved on to the flashes before disappearing altogether. I missed my chance to photograph it because I spent too long counting Teal (44) and Snipe (38).

However, a single male Wigeon was the first of the autumn and did get snapped.


There wasn't much else to see. A Grey Wagtail flew over, and a Green Sandpiper was still present.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I run a blog covering Smestow Valley LNR. I have started a nature network to protect our patches and coordinate wildlife surveys. please could you e-mail smestowsightings@gmail.com and I can send you more information. Regards, Chris Millward.
    movingmountains4nature.blogspot.co.uk. Thank you

    ReplyDelete