Wednesday 21 August 2013

Twitching the patch

I am writing this blog on Wednesday evening after successfully twitching a couple of Black-tailed Godwits found by John and Pat Yardley this evening. The Godwits were a year-tick and Pat was a lifer. Work commitments had caused me to arrive home at about 18.45 and without my car or tripod (in the boot of my car). It's a long boring story, which I will spare you. So I didn't take my camera.

Yesterday evening was rather more typical. The birding wasn't too bad, although I was plagued by flying ants crawling all over me every time I stood still. The ants were themselves were having a tough time as I counted five Whitethroats, a Redstart, and a Whinchat all fly-catching enthusiastically.

The flashes and pool produced four Green Sandpipers and a Snipe, and there was nothing close enough to attempt to photograph. So instead, and in desperation, I took a shot of this plant.


Frankly, I don't know what it is. There are small clumps of it here and there in the weedy borders of the fields. I thought it was Fumitory before I checked the books. They suggested it was not. Perhaps its a vetch of some sort. I have yet to reach any conclusion.

Probably best to stick to birds.

No comments:

Post a Comment