Sunday 18 August 2013

Sunday August 18

I was a bit pushed for time this morning as we had arranged to go to see a friend in Abergavenny in time for lunch. The sunny morning was perfect for sifting through migrants, and the bushes were full of them.

By the time I left, John and I had accumulated 15 Whitethroats, 2 Lesser Whitethroats, a Sedge Warbler, five Willow Warblers, a couple of Chiffchaffs and a fine first-winter male Redstart. John also found the first Whinchat of the autumn, but it disappeared before I could see it.

With all this activity in the hedgerows it might have been reasonable to hope that last night's torrential showers would have produced some waders. Sadly, all we could see was a single Green Sandpiper.

I didn't take any pictures apart from an rear-end view of a bird which I know to be a Willow Warbler. I was tempted start a mystery bird competition, but I'm afraid most of my shots would qualify, so here instead is Fred the tortoise reunited with its relieved owner.



Down in Abergavenny Lyn and I spent an enjoyable afternoon sitting in the the garden of Dr Geoff Brown, an indefatigable 90 year old, watching the Swallows and Martins perching on wires just beyond his garden. Among them was a Sand Martin, miles from the nearest water course as far as I know. A few miles short of Geoff's house we drove under a Red Kite hunting in the shadow of the Skirrid Hill.

No comments:

Post a Comment