Saturday 10 August 2013

Marsh Harrier

Saturday August 10. This post is going to be a bit brief as I have to go to a wedding shortly. But the important part is that after spending an hour of seeing nothing at the patch this morning, at 9.30 am all that changed when a cream-crowned Marsh Harrier appeared.

It was flying over the field that had been ear-marked for Lapwings to breed but is now full of arable weeds. The crown was actually orange and the rest of the plumage very dark brown, so it was probably a juvenile.

My camera was in my bag and my scope folded away so all I had time to do was take some images with the standard lens increased in magnification as high as it would go (not very high) and click and hope.


This was my best shot. The Marsh Harrier is on the left being mobbed by two corvids. Unfortunately all my shots were just silhouettes.

I texted a few people after I had lost it and carried on back to the car. However, as I approached Netherstead I saw it again, this time above the ridge field. John and Mike were on their way, but I fear they may be too late because I did not see it again after this last look.

After missing the one in spring this was a great pull-back.

Post-script: One thing I forgot to mention in my rush to get the post completed was that there are now two more broods of Tufted Ducks, both on the dragonfly pools. I had no idea there was a female sitting on either of them. It's incredible that they can hide themselves away so effectively.

Also, Mike and John had no luck with the Marsh Harrier, but they did see huge numbers of butterflies including about 200 Peacocks, a Small Copper, a Small Heath, and a Painted Lady, which John has kindly sent me a photo of.


A great picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment