Sunday 28 July 2013

New arrivals and records

Heavy overnight rain. I arrived to find that the morning was sunny and breezy. I was joined by Dave and we quickly found that this was not going to be a day for finding passerines.

However, as we approached the main pool I spotted a Little Egret flying in. It landed out of sight, and we edged forward until I could finally see it through a gap in the pool-side grasses.

Captured at its closest approach

I managed a click and hope shot, see above, before it flew to the back of the pool. However, the Coot in residence was rather belligerent, and it soon flew towards the flashes. I only saw one Little Egret here last year, also in July, and before that all the records had been in January and February 2010 and 2011.

Unfortunately there was no sign of it on the flash, but there were lots of Green Sandpipers. Dave's first count was 16, and eventually we confirmed there were at least 17 present. This was comfortably a site record for us both.

Five of the 17 Green Sandpipers
As usual none of them was close, but the above shot gives an idea of the spectacle. Also present were four Teal and two Gadwall.

Back home I again spent time checking out the Buddlaeia for butterflies, and recorded Peacocks, Large and Small Whites, a Gatekeeper, Meadow Browns, and this Comma.

Comma in front of the dining room
I think this has been the best summer we can remember in the garden for butterflies.

No comments:

Post a Comment