Sunday 12 May 2013

Sunday May 12

Some birding days will not stay long in the memory, and this was one of those. The weather was an uninspiring combination of cool westerlies, and increasing cloud.

Dave and I did our best, but by the time we decided to try Haselor Scrape, we had managed a view of last week's Reed Warbler, three Little Ringed Plovers, a Wheatear, and eight Tufted Ducks.

Haselor was also poor, but on the drive back to Morton Bagot we saw a Swift fly across the road. Dave decided to go home, while I scanned from the road near the church and was eventually rewarded with another Swift. One for the year-list at least.

By now I was suffering from irritating equipment failure, as it looks like the thread on my scope is too worn to enable me to attach scope to tripod with any confidence that it will not unexpectedly fall off.

With no birds or insects available I reverted to photographing and attempting to identify some common wayside flowers, coming up with Greater Stitchwort, Cowslips, Dandelions, Field Forget-me-Not (I think), and Meadow Buttercup (again, I think).


Greater Stitchwort

Cowslips
Very pretty though.

No comments:

Post a Comment