Wednesday 22 May 2013

A blast from the north

This evening I went birding in spite of the strong wind blowing from the north and bright conditions, my least favorite combination. One big plus was that John had fixed the thread on my scope so I was keen to photograph something, anything really.

The Flashes offered a summer-plumaged Black-headed Gull and a Little Ringed Plover. Nah! The pool produced my first subject as I found there were now two pairs of Greylag Geese with goslings.

Awwh !
This is the first year that Greylags have nested on the pool, so two broods is pretty good. Moving on I tried a distant shot of the female Wheatear which is still present (and blurred), almost got a shot of a hovering Kestrel (I did get the shot but the subject was heading out of the frame), and finally failed to even see a loudly singing Lesser Whitethroat.

Back at the road I eventually got a dodgey picture of a Swallow sitting on wires.

The Swallow about to fly off
I also had a nice chat with one of the farming twins from Church Farm. Like all the farmers I have encountered around here he was very friendly and interested in the wildlife on his land. He seemed to know about the blog, and if he took exception to me accidentally walking his dog last week, he didn't let it show.

1 comment:

  1. the dog belongs to Hannah, the twins' sister, and goes wherever it likes all the time. It was nicked recently and she was lucky to get it back!

    ReplyDelete