Friday 26 April 2013

The cold returns

A sunny morning but the overnight passage of a cold front resulted in a breezy chilly visit. I was also constrained on time and so didn't take any photos (that I'm not embarrassed to show), or do any sketching.

I started at Netherstead and found at least two singing Sedge Warblers and the first of two Lesser Whitethroats. Scanning the former crop field failed to produce any Grey Partridges, but the ploughed field contained at least eight Wheatears (probably Greenlands) and a female Whinchat. Unfortunately I lost the latter after I had erected my scope. It had been on the ploughed stubble with the Wheatears, and I would have liked a better look really.

The flash was very disappointing considering the overnight conditions. Just a solitary Little Ringed Plover, although at least three Lapwings are now sitting.

That was about it. I had a good view of a Willow Warbler, and eventually counted six Whitethroats and three Blackcaps.

Although most of the summer migrants are now on schedule, I noticed that the botany is still lagging behind, for example there is no sign at all that the Bluebells are close to flowering in Bannams Wood. It won't be too much longer though.

No comments:

Post a Comment