Monday 29 April 2013

Good birds on a non-birding day

I had taken today off to recover from yesterday's exertions, and Lyn and I decided to go to Hillers Farm Shop at the edge of the Ragley Estate for lunch. I took my bins because one nice thing about Hillers is that it includes an extensive garden, and tucked away in the corner is a small hide overlooking a tiny pond in the bordering woodland.

As we made our way through the garden I was vaguely aware of some odd song notes coming from the top of a Scots Pine. I stopped to look and was astonished when a female Crossbill appeared in a gap below the crown. Lyn has never seen Crossbill, so we spent a while trying to see it again. During that time it became apparent that the tree-tops also contained several buzzing Redpolls, and at least one Siskin. Then a male Crossbill appeared and sat in front of the orangey tree bark. We went to the hide and mentioned this to the one incumbent, who thankfully knew what Crossbills were and commented he hadn't seen any for years.

When we left the hide, no Crossbills having appeared at the pond, the chap joined us to search for them. We heard calls several times, and finally five Crossbills flew out, with one later returning to give Lyn a reasonable view as it perched in a larch.

On the way back home we called at Haselor scrape. It contained four Snipe, two Yellow Wagtails, a Shelduck, and a Redshank. This was my kind of "non-birding" day. Driving past Morton Bagot I noticed Mike's car. I rang him and found he had just seen the pair of Grey Partridges which gave me the runaround at the weekend. He later joined us for a cup of tea and a biscuit (or two), and said he had been unable to find the Whinchats.

I have just completed a colour drawing of yesterday's male based on my sketches, and it is depicted here.


 I have another day off work tomorrow, and again it is a non-birding day. So watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment