Wednesday 17 April 2013

Even windier

Note to self; try to be more adaptable to the conditions and do not just go birding on a Wednesday night and a Sunday morning come what may.

This week Monday was a lovely sunny day. I finally saw a butterfly on my way home, a Peacock on the outskirts of Redditch. But it was too near Sunday so I didn't go birding. Tuesday evening I was supposed to be replacing a fallen fence panel with the help of a neighbour. He didn't show up.

This morning started encouragingly, I could hear a distant Willow Warbler from my front step, and there was a female Blackcap in our apple tree. Also, it was a Wednesday, so birding would happen. But the weather gods were against me, and by the time I got home from work it was blowing a south-westerly gale. I went anyway.

It wasn't a complete disaster. A nice summer plumage Dunlin and two Little Ringed Plovers were on the flash, a pair of Swallows was flying around, and the pair of Gadwall was still present. All attempts to photograph birds would be best consigned to the dustbin, so here instead is the Oak tree which the Tawny Owl lives in.


Rather a splendid old tree.

Think positively. I will have a really good day here when the summer migrants show up in force. So that'll be Sunday then.

No comments:

Post a Comment