Monday 7 May 2012

Monday May 7

I arrived at Netherstead Farm mid-morning, and had about 40 minutes of birding before the forecast rain arrived. In that time I was pleased to hear my first Cuckoo of the year.

Common Cuckoo
I have managed to record this species every year since I have been visiting the patch, although ironically the only spring I failed to get one was the only autumn I saw any juveniles. The species seems to be in serious trouble and I was getting worried that I wouldn't hear its iconic call this summer. As the rain began to fall I flushed a Whinchat from the fenceposts that border the main pool. It was another female, and I suppose could have been yesterday's bird in a different spot. The flashes revealed a couple of species which had been absent yesterday, a Shelduck and a Little Ringed Plover, but then it was rather a case of rain stops play. I did however see a Marsh Tit and a fly-over Herring Gull when I got back to my car.

No comments:

Post a Comment