Saturday 7 April 2012

Little Owl at last

Little Owl
A grey morning with a light northerly breeze and occasional spells of drizzle. I didn't have all morning so headed straight for the flash where I counted 18 Teal, seven Snipe, the Little Ringed Plover, and two Green Sandpipers. This was OK but not much to write home about so I decided to check the tree Mike had seen the Little Owl in last month, and blow me it was there. I took a couple of record shots, (sorry about the quality) and then watched as it jerked its head around in reaction to any movement that caught its eye. I had forgotten what stunning birds they are. I decided to have a quick look at the small pool behind the hedge, and duly found my second year tick of the morning, a drake Tufted Duck. This species is basically a summer visitor to the small pools around the farm, although it usually turns up well before April. I retraced my steps and was pleased to find that the Tawny Owl was also showing, although it was being given a hard time by four mobbing Jackdaws. Two Owl species in a morning. Can't be bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment