Tuesday 24 April 2012

Another quiet morning

I'm starting to get concerned about the lack of new migrants. Other sites seem to be confirming the low numbers of Whitethroats for example. Admittedly the low pressure system is still sitting on us and this morning the wind direction remained a light northerly. I wandered around without finding any new migrants, and the highlight was chatting to Mike Lane. Mike is a seriously good photographer, but our paths don't cross too often as he tends to visit during the week when I am at work (or perhaps early in the morning before I get up). Apart from a smart male Wheatear, the only notable birds were a flock of 17 Stock Doves which flew out of the ploughed field.

Stock Dove
Stock Doves are quite common on the farm and I have seen up to 80 in winter. The presence of today's small flock gives a good indication of their breeding numbers in the surrounding woodland, but only a few pairs are thought to nest within the confines of the patch.

3 comments:

  1. I agree, its an odd Spring Richard. Warbler numbers are really down at Shenstone. Other than Chiffys that are back in good numbers, I only have 1 Whitethroat, 1 Willow Warbler and 2 Blackcaps back on patch...that's not normal for this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Richard,

    I had about 100 Stock Dove at the farm today, at the wild bird cover down past Netherstead Farm towards Spernal (its the the only wild bird cover left that has not been ploughed in for next winter). Also, 2 Redshank, 2 Teal, 7 pairs Lapwing and still a flock of 53 Linnet. Also 2 Tree Sparrow.

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Matt,

    That's a very impressive count. I must admit that the wild bird cover south of Netherstead is not usually part of my normal route. Perhaps it should be. I managed to sneak out for an hour on the evening of 25 April, but only to check the Flash. A single Common Snipe was my only new wader.

    Rich

    ReplyDelete