Sunday 12 February 2012

Grey day

Sunday Feb 12. I arranged to meet Dave Scanlan as usual, and my walk to the paper shop (Redditch)  had produced a Blackcap in full song and 18 Magpies from the kitchen window, so I was feeling quite optimistic. Dave arrived looking pale and shaken, he had received the dreaded text message from his other patch, "three Smews at Marsh Lane GP". Within 10 minutes he heard they were confirmed correct and were drakes... see ya' Dave.

I continued alone and eventually reached the flash without really seeing anything of note. John Yardley was there, but it was apparent that Thursday's large flock of Teal were not. I eventually counted 36, but at least the drake Pintail was still present. A couple of distant Coot provided the day's only year tick.

By the time we got back to Netherstead Farm the only highlight had been the continued presence of the Peregrine. John headed off, and I decided to drive down the track to the south end of the farm to check out the Linnet flock. I estimated 600, which is the best count I've had so far this winter. I then made a late decision to return to the flashes. On route I scoped three Lesser Redpolls in a hedge near the farm, but was then gutted to find that the same two teenagers that messed up the birding last weekend were again skating around on the ice.


Linnet
 Linnets are an important farmland bird, and Morton Bagot harbours a small breeding population and attracts very large numbers in winter. They are particularly drawn to a crop at the south end of the recording area, but also to game feeding areas. In 2011 numbers peaked in late February, my highest personal estimate being 1200 on Feb 20, although I did hear that Matt Wilmott had recorded 2000 around this time. This year I think there are fewer, but they still make an impressive sight, particularly when they line up on the telegraph wires which bounce and sway under the weight of birds.

PS Wolves 1 West Brom 5. Come on you Baggies!
PPS Dave got the Smews by the skin of his teeth.

No comments:

Post a Comment