Friday 13 January 2012

The story so far

Hello, welcome to my blog

I discovered the area known as Morton Bagot on 11 Feb 2007 while exploring the 10km square immediately east of where I live. It seemed to have the only Linnet flock and the most substantial Lapwing numbers in the area, and also a reasonable amount of water. I later learned that the farmer at Netherstead Farm, Paul Harvey, had created a small pool with the encouragement of English Nature and also that he farmed in a game-friendly way which benefitted the local wildlife. Beyond Paul's farm was a field containing a spring-fed flash which also looked to have potential.

The whole area was just a five minute drive from my house, and although I diligently spent the next four years covering the 10km square for the BTO's Atlas, the honeypot of Morton Bagot increasingly lured me in.

Gradually I started to find good birds; a Garganey in 2007, a Wood Sandpiper in 2008, and a Water Pipit and Ring Ouzel in 2009.

In 2010 I kept my first year-list for the site, and spent little birding time anywhere else. I amassed a total of 118 species including a Pink-footed Goose, a Little Egret, and a Great Grey Shrike (found by John Coombes).

2011, although it produced a slightly lower personal yearlist of 117, was even better for scarcities, the highlights being Red Kite, Marsh Harrier, Quail, White-fronted Goose, and a Goshawk.

That brings me almost up to date.

My first three visits in 2012 were on January 1st, 8th and 12th. Last year's drought has reduced the main pool to a puddle, while the mild weather has greatly reduced the attractiveness of the flashes to wildfowl. Despite this, an impressive 337 Lapwings accompanied the wintering Ruff and a Green Sandpiper, which had turned up in December, on the 12th. This year's list stands at a modest 58 (if memory serves me right).

1 comment:

  1. Hi Richard,

    I've just discovered your blog and was instantly intrigued by its title (no surprise there with a surname like mine). Was the area simply named after someone called Morton Bagot?

    Good to see you are still out birding.

    Cheers,
    Carl Baggott.

    ReplyDelete